Ahh the dreaded, “where do you see yourself in 5 years” question. This question often irked me during college courses or job interviews. However, over the last few years I’ve realized the power behind this question and importance of a visualization practice as I get older and work towards crafting my dream life. In fact, 5 years ago I was dreaming about a life on the road with a loving partner and over the last year I have seen this visualization come to fruition!
How often do you visualize, dream, or think about your future self? Do you day dream about your future self daily? Do you ask yourself thought-provoking questions to dig deep into where you’d like to be? Do you journal about it, chat with your friends, or create vision boards?
I’m a big fan of journaling in order to dream, visualize, and become clear on my future self, which is why I’ve curated this list of questions to help you visualize your dreamiest future life as well!
Questions to Ask Yourself
- How would you describe your future self? What does she look like, act like, dress like?
- What habits does she have that you don’t currently have?
- How does she feel about herself and her place in the world?
- How does she handle conflicts and difficult situations?
- What are her family relationships like? Friendships?
- What is her home and environment like?
- What does a typical day look like for her?
- What does it FEEL like to be around her and have a conversation with her?
- What do people say about her and remember about her?
- How does she make others feel? Better yet, how do others feel about themselves when she is around them?
- When somebody asks what you do for work, how do you respond?
- Describe your physical surroundings in as much detail as possible. Where are you working? Where do you live? Where do you spend your free time?
- Describe the people surrounding you–in your business and personal life.
- What is the atmosphere in your business and personal life? How do you contribute to that atmosphere?
- What are you most proud of?
- What is your favorite way to spend your downtime?
- Describe the steps you had to take to get to where you are.
- Do you have any regrets? Explain.
- What would you have done differently to get here?
Once you have this clarity for yourself, begin working backwards to see what might be a good first step toward becoming this person. Break down your dreamy future into a year-by-year basis. Next plan out the next year on a month-to-month basis. what micro-adjustments or mega adjustments can you make this week or month that will lead you one step closer to your 5-year future self!
Let me know in the comments below where you see yourself in 5 years!
Hope you find this page helpful and I’m excited to hear your big plans and dreams that lie ahead 🙂